Tuesday, November 25, 2008

same kind of different As me.


This book is about Denver, a former slave, Ron, an art dealer, and Deborah, Ron’s wife. It tells a true story about this couple who started working at a local mission. The majority of the book is about these two men and their spiritual journey and friendship. This book is so good and inspiriting. There were so many things in this book that God spoke to me through. But this one part talked about friendship and I thought it was so profound.
Almost halfway through the book Ron takes Denver to breakfast, this is the first time they spent time together alone. Denver is very guarded. Denver asks Ron what he wants from him. Ron responds with “I just want to be your friend.” Denver is silent and says let me think about it.
Well let’s stop right here for a second. Who says let me think about when someone asks to be there friend. I know I don’t. But there is defiantly something significant about thinking it all through.
Mk, so then in the book it says about a week has past and they haven’t really spoken. Then Ron takes Denver to starbucks. Denver says to him that he has been thinking about what he had asked him. Denver starts talking about how many people when they go fishing the catch and release the fish. Denver says “If you fishin' for a friend you just going to catch and release, then I ain’t got no desire to be your friend.” Then there is silence for a minute. “But if you is lookin' for a real friend, then I’ll be one forever.”
I love that. I personally am not someone who enjoys being acquaintances with people. I like to have deep relationships. But I’m not as up front as Denver is. I just love that he thinks the commitment through and that he sees it as a commitment. I know I’m reading a lot it to this but I just thought it was pretty significant.
I really think everyone should read this book!

2 comments:

Silver said...

I like what you'd written abt this book.

Think i will try to check this book out too. Thks for sharing.

Jamie said...

Your welcome! Its a fantastic book. I didnt really do it justice.